Limited tort: Limits your right to sue for pain and suffering, except in cases of serious injury. The “limited tort” option qualifies you for a reduction in premium.
Yes: Your selection of limited tort applies to your ability to sue others under your policy. Should you be at fault in an accident, the injured party can seek recovery from you for any economic damages. Their ability to sue for non-economic damages is determined by whether they elected the limited or full tort option on their own policy.
Comprehensive: Otherwise known as “other than collision”, this area of coverage refers to the damages to a covered vehicle if damaged by fire, windstorm, vandalism, flooding, or by falling objects. Also, damage to the vehicle caused by theft or hitting an animal.
Collision: This area of coverage pays for damage when a covered vehicle collides with another vehicle or object.
If you have a loan on the vehicle you are required by the bank to carry comp and collision. If you do not have a loan the decision is yours.
You are required to report all licensed drivers who reside in your household. An excluded driver is not allowed to operate a vehicle listed on the policy.
These coverages are for your benefit if involved in an accident with someone who does not have or does not have enough insurance.
Stacking allows you to take the uninsured and underinsured limits on the policy and multiply them by the number of vehicles on the policy.
If a vehicle is leased the leasing company may require higher limits of liability than the state minimum and they will be listed as an additional insured.
1. Medical benefits-the state of Pennsylvania requires you to carry a minimum of $5,000 but you may choose a limit in increments between the minimum and $100,000. This pays for the insured and household relatives, medical expenses resulting from an accident.
2. Extraordinary medical benefits- Medical limits higher than $100,000. This benefit is only available at the limit of $1,000,000.
3. Funeral expense-you may choose limits of $1,500 or $2,500 this covers the insured and/or any relatives living in the same household if in a fatal accident.
4. Income loss- in the event there is an accident that causes the insured and/or any relatives living in the same household to be out of work, this coverage helps you recover up to 80% of your lost earnings. This benefit is listed with a per month and a maximum benefit.
5. Accidental death benefits-paid only if the insured and/or any relatives living in the same household were involved in a fatal accident.